The Converse Home is a living example of Margaret Mead’s famous quote, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. “
In Burlington, in 1886, that small group of committed citizens was concerned about elderly women in the community without families to support them. It was from their discussions and actions that The Home for Aged Women was established. We initially opened our doors, on King Street, to seven women. A few years later we moved to St. Paul Street and in 1921 to our current location at 272 Church Street in Burlington.
In 1954 we changed our name to The Converse Home, in honor of Reverend John Converse, who operated the Burlington Female Seminary on this site for many years. Click here to learn more about the historical aspects of our home.
Could that small group of concerned citizens, when they came together in 1886, have imagined that:
- Both men and women would reside here, even couples
- The number of residents living here would grow from seven to sixty six
- We would expand to offer one-bedroom and efficiency apartments
- We would provide specialized memory care for those with Alzheimer’s Disease and other dementia
- We would celebrate our 125 year anniversary!
Most likely our founders did not foresee any of these things. But one thing we believe they all envisioned and remains true today is that our gracious, caring home continues to be a treasure of the community and to the residents and families we serve.
Volney G. Barbour
Alma M. Bingham
Laura M. Gray
Faustina W. Linsley
Charles P. Smith
Torrey E. Wales